6.10.09

Here fishy fishy fishy

Fish are the bomb. They give us protein, minerals, vitamin B12, iodine and are low in saturated fat and contain omega-3 fatty acids. But try telling a kid that. The problem is, with all that fishy goodness comes a strange smell and fishy taste that doesn’t sit well on a sensitive little palate. So to introduce the new taste slowly I tried lots of options with varying fishy proportions. I’m not going to lie to you, not many worked but one that did was my Cheesy Tuna Mornay. As an added bonus I also found out that both canned tuna and salmon have low mercury, cha-ching! Anywho I know you don't come here for nutrition lessons, so here is my Tuna Mornay, the kids gobble it up like it was, well...chicken?

Cheesy Tuna Mornay
300g dried fusilli pasta (Or any pasta)
2 thick slices day-old white bread, crusts removed, coarsely torn
60g butter
2 tbs plain flour
2 cups milk
11/2 cups coarsely grated cheddar
1 x 425g can tuna, drained, flaked
1 cup frozen peas

1/ Preheat oven to 180°C and cook your pasta.
 
2/ Crumb the bread with a food processor.
 
3/ Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until foaming. Remove from heat. Gradually add the milk and place over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. 
 
4/ Add 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted. Add the cheddar mixture, tuna and peas to the pasta and stir until well combined. Spoon the pasta mixture into an ovenproof dish. 
 
5/ Combine the breadcrumbs and remaining cheddar in a bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta mixture. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Just wanted to write and say I heard about your blog on yahoo answers and really enjoy it. I have added it to my favorites. Thank you for all the great recipes, I tried this one last night and it was really yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really great. My boy won't eat any fish at all except this dish! Please post the other recipe too so I can try it. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete