6.10.09

Nothing like toilet talk for a Tuesday arvo.

I got an email asking about tips for toilet training and I thought - oh goody, my favourite. I have toilet trained about 4 kids so far - two boys and two girls, so am by no means an expert. There are people out there claiming to be 'expert toilet trainers' though, which I find quite amusing. People really do pay for anything don't they? The following are my tips that I have used each time. These may or may not help you as every child is different and there are no trophies or bragging rights for toilet training in the quickest amount of time.

Are they ready?
  • Start talking about the toilet/potty and choose your words i.e. 'wee' / 'poo' and see if they respond with interest.
  • Take them through your toilet routine. Seems weird but this works wonders - girls should watch mummy and boys daddy. 
  • Encourage the 'grown-up' side of things.
  • Talk about wet and dry. 
  • If they communicate to you that they did a 'wee' or 'poo' you are in toilet training heaven.

Let the games begin.
  • Stop using nappies completely during the day and invest in some fun undies - make this a big deal in a good way.
  • Dress them in easy access clothes, as there's no time for fumbling.
  • You'll go through a few pairs of pants a day but this is key to understanding the wet feeling.
  • Continue using a nappy for sleeps but encourage them to call out if they need to go and praise a dry nappy.
  • I wouldn't use punishment or anger for accidents as this will only make them feel anxious and unhappy, delaying the whole process.
  • Set a timer for yourself every 20mins and gently remind them to go to the toilet/potty. Force toilet sitting will only make the bathroom feel like a punishment area.
  • Praise, praise, praise. Every time. You could use stamp or sticker rewards, reducing them as time goes by. 
  • Stand with them while they go, give loads of attention and make this an exciting time.
Other advice.
  • If you have been trying for a week with no success, stop completely and try again in a few weeks.
  • When I was toilet training one of the boys, we were in the middle of moving house. He didn't seem at all interested so I abandoned the mission. Once settled in the new house I tried again, with much success. The timing needs to be right; this is a huge thing for them.
  • Nannies - make sure the parents are doing the same routine as you are. There should be no confusion in the child's eyes.
  • If you're going for the toilet over the potty, remember that it's a lot bigger for a child. Maybe invest in a special toilet seat so there is no fear of falling in, and a footstool so they can get to it themselves.
  • Everyone is different, but for me it took about 1 week for the child to get a real grasp of the situation and another few weeks to master it.
  • Give them a while to bask in their glory, and then tackle the wiping side of things. I found those wet flush-able wipes to be brilliant for this step.
I am toilet training one lucky toddler this week, so if you've got any of your own brilliance to share, please do. And good luck! Ax

5 comments:

  1. Love it. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law is adamant you are to smack and discipline when toilet training. I completely disagree with her and it's nice to see you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am living by this advice for the next two weeks. My friend recommended it. Wish me luck! - Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far so good for me! You saved me much $$ as I was going to buy one of those toilet training books!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! How are you going? The first few days for me were pretty bad, got peed on many-a-time. But by day three I was seeing breakthroughs :) Ax

    ReplyDelete