11.9.09

Do you have a baby in your tummy?

Asked an adorable 5 year old. And it's a really cute question if you're pregnant. But I'm not. Maybe I had been exhaling, and my top is baggy boho, right? I decided to let that one slide until her comments of my 'black and yellow' hair, 'soft arms' and 'stretchy-eye-skin' tipped me over the edge. I dealt with the personal attack calmly and maturely, cancelled the afternoon activities, stomped out of the room, and served brussels sprouts on spinach mash for dinner.

The thing is, her comments did get me thinking. Are children the answer to providing brutal honesty to our inane questions? Imagine taking a child shopping and asking 'does my bum look big in this?', 'is this penny pirate costume any good?', or 'did daddy's mummy really say I was a terrible cook?'. The answers we have been fighting for from our boyfriends, husbands and girlfriends can be simply provided by the little ones we love.

But then again… maybe I'm not ready for the truth just yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday my daughter told me I had "moon craters" on my backside - apparently they had been studying them in class. Needless to say I threw out all my bone canvas pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. They're little monsters I tell you.

    ReplyDelete