30.9.09

Is baking for the kids making me fat?

I don't actually like baked goods that much. But I find it's one of those things that the more you have the more you want. I used to nanny for a family who LOVED home made baked goods. About 3 times a week I would be whipping out the shortbread recipe, icing a chocolate slice or rolling out a ridiculously fattening cookie dough. Now I nanny for a very healthy family, who only have very good quality healthy food in the house and NO sweets. When I first started a few months ago I would get actual sugar withdrawals at about 2pm leaving me with a pounding headache and the shakes. So now I have found a compromise. I bake, but only (semi) healthy treats - everyone is happy and hopefully I will lose some ass weight now. Please?

Banana, date & rolled oat cookies
(Recipe: Woman’s Weekly “food for fit and healthy kids”)
125g butter, softened
1tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 cup brown sugar
1egg yolk
1/3 cup mashed banana
1 ½ cups plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup finely chopped dried dates
½ cup rolled oats extra
4 dried dates extra (chopped)

1/ Preheat oven to 180 and line 2 trays with baking paper. 

2/ Beat butter, sugar, rind and egg yolk in a bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in banana, sifted flour, soda, oats and dates.

3/ Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls and roll each one into extra oats then place on trays 5cm apart.

4/ Press a piece of coarsely chopped date into the centre of each ball. Bake about 15mins and then leave to cool on trays.



4 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, I made these over the weekend, they are so scrummy!!! They were gone within a few hours though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added some grated apple to these and they worked really well! Just thought I should let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine turned out really muffin like? Is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I did them they were really biscuit like, the second time they were spongy like a muffin. I think they go spongy the more banana you use.

    Thanks for the apple idea! Must try that.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete