27.9.09

Is that meat in my sausage roll?

 I have a  weakness for pastry - especially sausage rolls. So nothing annoys me more than when I resist the urge, buy them, and look inside at the meat and think, hmm what is that hard gristly thing, is that animal or vegetable and are those black things herbs? Ughh filth. So I made it a bit of a mission this week to try and make them myself. This easy recipe is the result of my weeks testing, and makes sausage rolls that are pretty healthy and so delicious. Best of all you know what's in them. The kids gobbled them up like candy and trust me, you will feel better for making them yourself. 

Allie's Sausage Rolls

- 500g quality sausage/pork/chicken or veal mince. (I used pork) 
- 1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs (day old bread) 
- 1cup of milk (soak breadcrumbs in milk)

- 3 eggs
- 1tbs finely chopped sage 
- 1tbs finely chopped basil 
- 1tbs finely chopped thyme  
- 1 carrot  (grated)
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- 1 small apple (grated, keeps mixture moist)
- 1 brown onion (grated)
- Salt & pepper
- 4 sheets of puff pastry 
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Tomato sauce, to lather on top 

1/ Preheat the oven to a hot 220°C and line a few trays with baking paper. 

2/ Combine all the ingredients minus 1egg and pastry then blend together in a food processor.

3/ Slice each pastry sheet in half so you have 8 rectangles and place on a lightly floured surface. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and spoon evenly down the center of each pastry rectangle.

4/ Fold one edge of the pastry over the filling, stretching it slightly as you go. Fold the other pastry edge over the top to overlap and form a seam and press down gently to seal. Turn the rolls over and place on the baking trays (seam side is down). 

5/ Cut each roll into 4 or 5 segments and make a small slits in the top (because they burst otherwise and it's not pretty). Cover with glad wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

6/ Remove from fridge. Brush the tops with the lightly whisked remaining egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. 

I serve these with steamed veggies/salad and tomato sauce. Enjoy. Ax



4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this, I have been thinking the samething for a while. I will try it this weekend. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good, I don't like pork though so I think i'll go with the chicken. The apple is interesting, I will try it cause mine are always dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the kids notice the veggies in it? I think mine would. I am going to give it a try it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. - I think Chicken will be just as good :)

    - The kids I nanny for are really good at eating veggies so they didn't say anything, but honestly you can hardly tell they are in there when it's all cooked and mashed up together.

    Enjoy, Allie x

    ReplyDelete