22.9.09

Life's too short to sort socks

One thing I am really terrible at is sorting socks. I have a real inability to decipher the difference between 9month, 2 and 5 year olds socks. To make things even harder, boy and girl socks look the same - forget the days of pink and floral vs blue stripes. One day the mother I was working with pulled out all the socks and lay them out in front of me. Then she patiently explained the size, colour and shape difference. The next day, terrified of getting it wrong I came up with an ingenious plan. I sorted the laundry pairing the socks (that I can do) and while we were eating afternoon tea the kids happily sorted the socks into their piles, the person who could do it the fastest won. Sounds like a pretty standard game, but they loved it. It got me thinking about other laborious chores I could get the little ones involved with. I found many of the things I hated doing, they love! Bingo. Here are my top 5, would love to hear yours.

1-    Sorting socks
2-    Cleaning glass windows and doors
3-    Putting pillows in covers
4-    Sweeping the kitchen floor
5-    Brushing the dog

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great idea. I wonder if not being able to sort socks is a sackable offense?

    ReplyDelete