27.9.09

I'll have one of those baby things now please

I used to think new born babies were a bit squidgy looking, all wrinkled, blotchy and red. But ever since my best friend gave birth I feel an overwhelming urge to have one. Not only did she look utterly gorgeous pregnant, she had a natural labour that she found 'empowering' and resulted in the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen. I have always had clucky moments and being in my mid 20's I think my body is telling me it's ready but the minute I saw this particular baby all of my senses have gone into baby overload. I can't sleep properly, I see babies - everywhere, I browse baby stores instead of DJ's and I look at my boyfriend in a different way i.e. will our kids have your nose or mine. It's sick isn't it? I used to see a baby and think he or she was cute, but then I could rationalise; 'think of the crying!', 'no more wine', 'you can't afford it'. Now my mind says; 'the smile outweighs the crying', 'I am  sooo over drinking', 'you can never REALLY afford a baby now can you?'.  And it's not just me, I know my girlfriends are all thinking the same thing when I see that glazed over look in their eyes. The moral of the story is that babies in general are cute,  but babies from best friends really are contagious and very, very dangerous. They turn a content not-thinking-about-a-baby-right-now female into a gooey maternal mess. But I think I like it.
Ax

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I am only 18 but when my cousin had a baby It made me all clucky. I wasn't even thinking about babies befor that!

    ReplyDelete